Colorado Truck Accident Lawyer
Serving Denver, Aurora, Pueblo & Colorado Springs for Over 40 Years
Trucking accidents are often the most severe forms of accidents on the road.
In the blink of an eye, your entire world can be turned upside down, potentially causing you a lifetime of pain, suffering, and disability. And to add insult to your injuries, insurance companies may begin pressuring you to sign a quick and easy settlement. They know how traumatic trucking accidents are and they are well aware that you need money right now to pay for medical expenses, rehabilitation, and lost wages. Without someone on your side to represent your long-term interests, these insurance companies may use this knowledge to lowball you into accepting a settlement far below what you deserve.
Here at McDivitt Law Firm, our trucking accident lawyers know the tricks that insurance companies use to reduce their liabilities. We use this knowledge to fight for our trucking accident clients to ensure their rights to compensation are protected throughout the legal process. We have the resources and knowledge to win these large and complex cases. We’ve been doing it for over 40 years.
Why Hire an Attorney for Your Colorado Trucking Accident?
It’s not just insurance companies that you need to be prepared for. Trucking companies are equally as motivated to escape with having to pay little to no money. After a devastating trucking accident, valuable evidence such as driving logs and black box data can be lost or destroyed. Trucking companies are well aware that this evidence is often critical to establishing liability and proving negligence.
Don’t try to fight these two fronts by yourself. It’s vital that you hire a Colorado trucking accident attorney as soon as you can. Your attorney will investigate all aspects of your accident, gather evidence, speak to accident experts and medical professionals, and build a solid case against all negligent parties. Having an experienced attorney on your side can ensure that you have the evidence you need to win your case and collect the money you deserve.
But before you hire an attorney, there are a few things you should do first.
What to Do After a Trucking Accident
If you’ve been seriously injured in a trucking accident, it can be difficult to know where to turn to for help. But the steps you take immediately after an accident can have a significant impact on your ability to file a claim and may even jeopardize your case. So, you need to act swiftly.
Before you hire an attorney, your first call should be to 911 to file a police report. Calling 911 will alert both the authorities and emergency response teams to your accident. This is an important first step to building your case. Having both a police report and a medical examination documented on paper makes it difficult for an insurance or trucking company to sweep anything under the rug.
And, of course, receiving prompt medical treatment should be prioritized over hiring a lawyer. Nothing is more important than your health. Because some trucking accident injuries don’t show symptoms until days or weeks later, getting treated immediately is key to reducing the risk of further complications.
Once you’ve taken all of the above actions, it’s time to find an experienced attorney.
Why Choose McDivitt Law Firm?
McDivitt Law Firm has been a staunch legal advocate for trucking accident victims across the state of Colorado for over 40 years. Here’s what we bring to the table:
- McDivitt has more experience than most firms, which enables us to quickly and efficiently negotiate a fair settlement for you.
- McDivitt will work tirelessly for you and your family during this difficult time, to ensure that you have the money you need both now and in the future.
- McDivitt has experienced trucking accident litigators who have successfully fought against large trucking companies for decades. The millions of dollars we have recovered for our clients speaks for itself.
- We are 100% focused and committed to only the people who need us most. We are relentlessly dedicated to serving victims of the most severe and complex trucking accidents in Colorado.
Common Causes of Trucking Accidents in Colorado
Trucking accidents injure more than 111,000 people every single year. There are numerous factors that can result in a trucking accident but the most common causes of trucking accidents are:
- Fatigued truck drivers – The National Transportation Safety Board estimates that up to 40% of all trucking accidents are caused by driver fatigue. Truckers are routinely pushed to drive long hours in order to make their deliveries on time. As a result, they may break the FMCSA rules and regulations regarding rest breaks and driving time.
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol – Numerous studies have shown that truck drivers routinely use drugs and alcohol to help them combat loneliness on the road.
- Speeding – Speeding reduces the driver’s ability to make sudden corrections on the road, avoid an obstacle, or stop suddenly in traffic. It is estimated that 16% of all fatal trucking accidents are caused by a truck driver with at least one prior conviction for a speeding violation.
- Distracted driving – According to the FMCSA, truckers who are texting while driving are 23 times more likely to cause a serious trucking accident. As such, truckers who are caught violating this rule are fined heavily and could be at risk of losing their commercial license.
- Poor vehicle maintenance – In an effort to save money, some unscrupulous companies do not perform proper maintenance. They may unhitch rear brakes, refuse to change brake pads and tires on schedule or even allow dangerous vehicles back out on the road after failing an inspection.
- Improperly trained truck drivers – Trucking companies have a responsibility to ensure that their truck drivers are licensed and properly trained before allowing them to hit the road. Failure to do so can result in serious accidents and injuries. Improperly trained drivers are a liability and may make poor decisions in an emergency situation.
- Improper loading of cargo – Shipping companies have a responsibility to load a truck correctly and safely to prevent serious accidents from occurring. Loads that are unbalanced, overweight, or unsecured can cause a semi-truck to lose control, rollover, jackknife, or fall off of bridges and trestles. Load-shifting accidents are almost always preventable.
- Trucking defect or malfunction – Trucking manufacturers should issue recalls when there is evidence to suggest that their product presents a significant danger. Defective trucking parts can result in fires, tire blowouts, bolt failures, and explosions.
With over 40 years of experience, we’ve seen it all. If you suspect your trucking accident is the result of one of these causes, contact us for a free case evaluation to see if we can help.
Get Compensation for Your Trucking Accident Injuries
Victims of trucking accidents in Colorado often sustain serious and life-threatening injuries due to the violent forces in these collisions. Even low-speed trucking accidents can cause complicated and critical injuries to passenger vehicle occupants, pedestrians, and bicyclists on the road.
If you have suffered one of the following injuries, we can help.
- Traumatic brain injuries – Traumatic brain injuries can cause permanent impairment and disability (and in some cases even death). Victims who sustain a serious brain injury may be unable to work in their chosen profession, unable to enjoy their hobbies and lifestyle, and may even require daily assistance with basic care.
- Spinal cord injuries – Spinal cord injuries can result in permanent and complete paralysis. Victims may have difficulty walking, talking, breathing, and controlling their bodily functions. They may suffer from excruciating and debilitating nerve pain, numbness, and loss of motor control.
- Disfigurement – Trucking accidents are often catastrophic and accident victims may sustain serious abrasions, burns, and lacerations that can result in permanent disfigurement. These injuries may require numerous skin grafts, reconstructive surgeries, and therapies to heal, thus placing an increased financial burden on accident victims and their families.
- Internal organ damage – The impact of the trucking accident can result in internal bleeding and organ damage. From liver damage to ruptured spleens, the body is not made to withstand such violent forces. Internal organ damage can be life-threatening and can cause permanent disability and dysfunction.
- Broken bones – Fractures in a trucking accident can be catastrophic. Bones can become shattered, causing injured victims to undergo extensive surgeries and hospitalizations. In addition, if fractures are severe, accident victims may suffer permanent mobility impairment for the remainder of their lives.
- Psychological injuries – Being involved in a trucking accident can be devastating and traumatic. As such, victims of these violent crashes often experienced post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, or anxiety months, and even years, after the accident. These psychological injuries can affect nearly every aspect of a victim’s life, rendering them unable to work or maintain relationships.
Don’t see your injury listed above? We might still be able to take your case. Contact us for a free case evaluation so we can learn more about each other.
I didn’t know all the things that needed to be done. I had many questions and McDivitt always had answers for me. I hope I don’t need them again but if I do I certainly will come back.
You Deserve Fair Compensation
Remember, you deserve fair and adequate compensation. Insurance and trucking companies might try to make you feel otherwise, but that’s because their bottom dollar comes before your health and wellbeing.
The civil justice system exists to protect your rights, and our legal team at McDivitt Law Firm chose to specialize in personal injury law because we’re passionate about defending the rights of Colorado residents.
We’ll help you obtain the compensation you need to pay for medical expenses, long-term care, future medical costs, rehabilitation, lost wages, loss of future earnings, and pain and suffering.
Trucking Accident Frequently Asked Questions
- Who is to blame for my trucking accident? When a trucking accident occurs, there may be multiple parties to blame for the accident and your injuries. The truck driver, trucking company, shipping company, and truck manufacturer could all be to blame for the crash. An experienced trucking accident attorney can investigate your accident closely to determine all parties responsible for your injuries.
- How long do I have to file a claim? In the state of Colorado, you may have as little as 180 days to file a claim. If you have been injured in a trucking accident, it is important to speak to an experienced Colorado trucking accident attorney immediately to determine if you can still file a claim.
- What if I am partly to blame for the trucking accident? If you are partly to blame for the trucking accident, you may still be eligible for financial recovery.
- Should I accept the settlement offered to me? If the insurance company has offered you a settlement, do not sign it without first speaking to us. The insurance company is not on your side and does not have your best interest at heart. We will review your accident and your injuries to ensure that you are compensated fairly.
- I can’t afford a lawyer, what do I do? At McDivitt Law Firm, our truck accident lawyers work on a contingency basis. This means that you don’t pay us anything until we win your case for you. When we win or settle your case, our fee is just a percentage of your total settlement. With a lawyer on your side, you will see a significantly higher settlement package – up to 3 times as much as those who settled without an attorney.
Results and Case Studies
Our track record speaks for itself. We have helped injured clients in Denver, Colorado Springs, and throughout the state of Colorado obtain hundreds of millions of dollars. We offer compassionate, yet aggressive legal representation from the moment you hire us. Our clients are never just a case number, which is why so many of our past clients continue to refer friends and family members to us for help. Check out what our past clients had to say about working with McDivitt Law Firm.
We’re Here When You Need Us
Insurance companies are not on your side after a serious trucking accident. That’s why you need an experienced trucking accident lawyer in your corner from the very start. Contact the McDivitt Law Firm trucking accident attorneys in Denver, Aurora, Colorado Springs, Northern Colorado Springs or Pueblo as early in the process as possible. We offer a free consultation and review of your case, so we can discuss all of your legal options.
From the Truck Accident Blog
Browse the latest news & articles from the McDivitt Legal Team
Colorado Springs, CO – Victims Injured in I-70 Truck Crash at Ward Rd|
Colorado Springs, CO (December 4, 2021) – A major tractor-trailer accident on a busy highway occurred on Saturday evening, December 4, leaving at least one vict…Read More
Colorado Springs, CO – I-25 Site of Tractor-Trailer Accident Near W Bijou St|
Colorado Springs, CO (December 3, 2021) – A major tractor-trailer accident on a busy highway occurred on Friday afternoon, December 3, leaving at least one vict…Read More
What to Expect with McDivitt Law Firm After being injured in an accident, it’s understandable that your thoughts and emotions are ru…Read More