Suffering a car accident, especially if you’re sideswiped, can be a jarring and stressful experience. It can leave you with physical injuries, property damage, and emotional trauma. When a sideswipe incident involves a hit and run in Colorado, navigating the aftermath becomes even more complex. In such situations, having a reliable personal injury attorney can make all the difference. We’ll walk you through the steps to take if you’re sideswiped in a hit and run accident and how a car accident lawyer in Colorado can help.
- Prioritize Safety:Your safety should be your top concern. If you’re able to do so safely, move your vehicle out of traffic to avoid further accidents. Turn on your hazard lights and put out warning triangles or flares if you have them. Check yourself and any passengers for injuries and call 911 immediately if medical attention is needed.
- Gather Information:In a hit and run, gathering as much information as possible becomes crucial. Try to remember and note down details such as the make, model, color, and license plate number of the other vehicle. Any witnesses to the accident can provide invaluable information. Be sure to exchange contact information with them.
- Contact Law Enforcement:Report the accident to the local police. A police report is essential for insurance claims and can help identify the responsible party in a hit and run. Share all the details you’ve gathered with the responding officers.
- Document the Scene:Use your smartphone or a camera to document the accident scene. Take pictures of the damage to your vehicle, any debris, and the location of the accident. This documentation can be essential for the police or a personal injury attorney in Colorado to build a strong case.
- Seek Medical Attention:Even if you don’t feel seriously injured, it’s crucial to seek medical attention promptly. Some injuries may not manifest symptoms immediately but can have long-term effects. Medical records can also serve as evidence in your case.
- Notify Your Insurance Company:Report the accident to your insurance company as soon as possible. Provide them with all the details you have gathered, including the police report and witness statements. If you have uninsured motorist coverage, it may help cover your expenses in a hit and run.
- Consult a Car Accident Lawyer in Colorado:Navigating a hit and run case can be complex, especially if you’ve suffered injuries and property damage. Consulting a personal injury attorney in Colorado with experience in hit and run cases is a wise decision. They can help you understand your rights, negotiate with insurance companies, and, if necessary, file a lawsuit to seek compensation for your losses.
Experiencing a sideswipe accident, especially when it involves a hit and run in Colorado, can be overwhelming. By following these steps and seeking the assistance of an experienced personal injury attorney and car accident lawyer in Colorado, you can increase your chances of obtaining the compensation you deserve. Remember, you don’t have to face the aftermath of a hit and run alone; the legal professionals at McDivitt Law Firm are here to help you every step of the way.